Winter is arriving once again, Yeah!! Soon enough school bus drivers will need to take extra steps to ensure the safety of students on their way to and from school. In order to be properly prepared, take a few of these steps to keep your drivers, students and buses safe.
- Slow Down. In bad weather conditions it is better to keep your students safe then to try and run on schedule.
- Never Take Chances. If there is a concern that something does not look safe then it probably isn’t.
- Anticipate poor or dangerous road conditions. Keep greater distances between you and other objects, which will give you more time to react to things you may encounter on your route.
- Control your skid. If your vehicle goes into a skid, steer into the direction of the skid but don’t over compensate.
- Drive Defensively. Be careful of other motorist when entering intersections and always be aware of the traffic around you.
- Keep windshield clear of snow/ice. Be sure your headlights, wiper blades and defrosters are all in top working condition. Make sure that nothing is blocking your heater/defroster vents.
- Get the feel of the road. In safe places, try your brakes occasionally while driving slowly. This will help you understand how slippery the road is and you can adjust your speed to the road and weather conditions. Never make any sudden moves or slam on your brakes or accelerator.
- Bridges/Overpasses. Remember that condensation on the pavement of bridges and over-passes freeze before the rest of the roadway.
Thank you for all each of you do for Palmer Bus Service, I appreciate all your hard work.
Stay safe and warm out there!